Caramelized Onion and Cranberry Crostini
- 1 x 8oz (0.25kg) package light cream cheese, softened
- 2 x teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 4 x cups slivered onions*
- 1 x long baguette, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- ¼ x cup chopped walnuts
- ½ x teaspoon salt
- ½ x cup dried cranberries or mixture of dried cranberries, cherries, and blueberries
- 2 x tablespoons olive oil
- Olive oil for brushing
- Mix together cream cheese and thyme in small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Heat Electric Skillet to 300°F (150°C). Add walnuts; heat until toasted, about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove and reserve.
- Brush both sides of each slice of bread with olive oil. Toast in skillet at 300°F (150°C) until golden on each side, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Reserve. Wipe any crumbs from skillet.
- Heat olive oil in skillet. Add onions and salt; sauté until they begin to brown, about 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to 275°F (135°C).
- Add cranberries; cook until onions are sweet and cranberries are softened, about 15 to 20 minutes. If skillet gets too dry, add 1 tablespoon water. Stir in walnuts.
- Remove and cool slightly or completely. Spread cream cheese equally among toasted bread slices. Top with onion-cranberry mixture.
*Preparation Tip: To make onion slivers, cut onion in half crosswise then into thin wedges.
Sufficient for 30 appetizers